I Went to Amazon for Protein Bars. I Left With a Bag of Freeze-Dried Mangoes.

by Pranita Khurani

I'll admit the algorithm got me first. I was three tabs deep into a very ordinary Sunday scroll, protein bars in one cart, oats in another, when a pouch of something orange showed up in the "customers also bought" row. Freeze-dried mango, 10 grams, no added sugar. I almost skipped it. I'm glad I didn't.

What made me stop was the ingredient list, or rather how short it was. One line: mango. That's rare enough on a snack aisle shelf, let alone buried three scrolls into an Amazon session at 11pm.

I ordered two flavours to hedge my bets, mango and banana, more out of curiosity than conviction. They arrived two days later in pouches small enough to disappear into a bag pocket, which turned out to be the first thing I liked about them. No refrigeration, no mess, no sticky fingers, and small enough that I barely noticed the weight, ten grams each, closer to a small handful than a full snack.

The banana was the surprise. I expected something closer to a banana chip, oily, salty, fried. Instead it was light, almost airy, snapping cleanly between my teeth with a sweetness that tasted entirely like the fruit and nothing manufactured. The mango was punchier, more concentrated, closer to biting into the fruit at peak ripeness than anything I'd call a "snack" before.

I went back and read the fine print out of habit. No preservatives, non-fried, vegan, gluten-free. It's called Frudo, and the tagline on the pouch, "Feed the Feeling," made more sense after the second bag than it did on first read. This wasn't a health snack pretending to taste good. It genuinely just tasted like fruit, minus the mess.

I've since gone back for custard apple and jamun, the two flavours the brand says disappear fastest, and I understand why. There's something almost old-fashioned about a snack whose entire pitch is "we didn't add anything." In an aisle full of protein claims and marketing language, that restraint stood out more than any bar ever has.

What surprised me most wasn't the taste, it was how quickly a ten-gram pouch disappeared once I started eating. I've since started ordering two at a time, one for the desk, one that never makes it past the first ten minutes.

I didn't go looking for Frudo. Amazon's algorithm did the work. But for once, I'm not annoyed it interrupted my shopping. www.frudo.in

Comments